Powered-Up Molasses Cookies
These tender cookies are so soft and flavorful. You'd never guess they're also low-fat! —Jean Ecos, Hartland, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat 2/3 cup sugar and sunflower oil until blended. Beat in egg, then molasses. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves; gradually beat into sugar mixture.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and remaining sugar. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar mixture. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake until until edges are firm, 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 110 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Healthy Molasses Cookies in Taste of Home February/March 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.