Soft Molasses Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
MakesAbout 3 dozen cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening (not margarine)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, shortening and sugar until light-colored and fluffy. Beat in molasses and eggs; set mixture aside. In another large bowl, combine flour (no need to sift), salt, baking soda, ginger, cloves and cinnamon. Blend thoroughly with wire whisk. Gradually mix flour mixture into creamed ingredients until dough is blended and smooth. Roll dough into 1-1/2-in. balls. Dip tops in granulated sugar; place 2-1/2 in. apart on greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 11 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool on wire rack. Store in tightly covered container to maintain softness.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 293 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 6, 2018
I followed the recipe to a “T” and the cookies were absolutely perfect. The whole family loved them. I guess I made them slightly big as it only made two dozen. But they are absolutely delicious and have just the right amount of spice.
Oct 8, 2017
This is my favorite cookie recipe hands down!! Thank you LaVonne for sharing this recipe. They are so special.