Nice ‘n’ Soft Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 5 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- Food coloring of choice
- Colored sugar and sprinkles, optional
- Cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in half. Wrap each in plastic; refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 3/16-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until set, 5-7 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Beat confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder on low speed until blended; beat on high until soft peaks form, about 4 minutes. Add corn syrup; beat 1 minute.
- Tint with food coloring as desired. (Always keep unused icing covered with a damp cloth; if necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.) Pipe or spread icing on cookies; decorate as desired. Let dry.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 138 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 16, 2018
This is an awful sugar cookie recipe. I agree with other reviewers the dough is so dry and crumbly. Its missing something. Still tried to cook it but could only squeeze it in to a ball and it didnt taste like a sugar cookie. Will not make this again.
Dec 17, 2016
The best sugar cookies!!! I used the editor's note to get the flour so I didn't need to buy a whole thing of self raising flour. Otherwise everything was followed as written. A great frosting too that sets well! Will be making every year!
Dec 8, 2015
I've been using this recipe for years with wonderful results. I do, however, roll out my dough a bit thicker than the recipe suggests, as I find this produces a guaranteed soft and tender cookie. Dough is easy to handle and very forgiving, and the re-rolled scraps even make delicious cookies.
Dec 15, 2014
These cookies are delicious. Those people who didn't get a soft cookie did something wrong. I followed the recipe exactly. Yummy. Maybe you didn't soften the butter???
Dec 13, 2014
These were not anything like they should be. Wasted a bunch of ingredients. Not sure why some of us had the same issues, and others liked it. It was almost like there was a binding ingredient missing. After a few failures I added some oil to get the consistency I need to do anything with them. Moving on to another one...this one is a no go.....
Apr 7, 2014
I love soft chewy cookies and these are the best sugar cookies I've ever had. They are a Christmas tradition in our house.
Jan 1, 2014
Love these sugar cookies. This is my go to cugar cookie recipe! Everyone loves these with a little buttercream frosting on them.
Dec 21, 2013
The first batch I made, burned; The second batch was only air and super crunchy......I have lost 15 cookies so far..... I just hope that this next one isn't another waste....EACH BATCH IS SIX COOKIES SINCE I AM USING A TOASTER OVEN.......
Dec 20, 2012
Love this recipe! The cookies turned out nice and soft and not overly sweet. If you want it sweeter then make your icing sweeter. However, I liked them without icing and with just as well. I used a different recipe for the frosting as I didn't want to use corn syrup. I made these last week and am whipping up another batch today!
Apr 24, 2012
My mother adores these cookies, I use a different frosting recipe and the end result tastes like it came from the local bakery!