Nice ‘n’ Soft Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 5 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- Food coloring of choice
- Colored sugar and sprinkles, optional
- Cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in half. Wrap each in plastic; refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 3/16-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until set, 5-7 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Beat confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder on low speed until blended; beat on high until soft peaks form, about 4 minutes. Add corn syrup; beat 1 minute.
- Tint with food coloring as desired. (Always keep unused icing covered with a damp cloth; if necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.) Pipe or spread icing on cookies; decorate as desired. Let dry.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 138 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 17, 2016
The best sugar cookies!!! I used the editor's note to get the flour so I didn't need to buy a whole thing of self raising flour. Otherwise everything was followed as written. A great frosting too that sets well! Will be making every year!
Dec 8, 2015
I've been using this recipe for years with wonderful results. I do, however, roll out my dough a bit thicker than the recipe suggests, as I find this produces a guaranteed soft and tender cookie. Dough is easy to handle and very forgiving, and the re-rolled scraps even make delicious cookies.
Dec 15, 2014
These cookies are delicious. Those people who didn't get a soft cookie did something wrong. I followed the recipe exactly. Yummy. Maybe you didn't soften the butter???
Dec 13, 2014
These were not anything like they should be. Wasted a bunch of ingredients. Not sure why some of us had the same issues, and others liked it. It was almost like there was a binding ingredient missing. After a few failures I added some oil to get the consistency I need to do anything with them. Moving on to another one...this one is a no go.....
Apr 7, 2014
I love soft chewy cookies and these are the best sugar cookies I've ever had. They are a Christmas tradition in our house.
Jan 1, 2014
Love these sugar cookies. This is my go to cugar cookie recipe! Everyone loves these with a little buttercream frosting on them.
Dec 21, 2013
The first batch I made, burned; The second batch was only air and super crunchy......I have lost 15 cookies so far..... I just hope that this next one isn't another waste....EACH BATCH IS SIX COOKIES SINCE I AM USING A TOASTER OVEN.......
Dec 20, 2012
Love this recipe! The cookies turned out nice and soft and not overly sweet. If you want it sweeter then make your icing sweeter. However, I liked them without icing and with just as well. I used a different recipe for the frosting as I didn't want to use corn syrup. I made these last week and am whipping up another batch today!
Apr 24, 2012
My mother adores these cookies, I use a different frosting recipe and the end result tastes like it came from the local bakery!
Apr 21, 2012
I did not have any trouble with this recipe at all. I followed the Editor's Note since I did not have any self-rising flour. The cookies were easy to roll and turned out great. I also shared the recipe with a friend and she was very happy with the results, also.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.