Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
Makesabout 1 cup
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Food coloring, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, meringue powder and cream of tartar; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Tint with food coloring if desired. Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- To decorate, place icing in a pastry bag. For border decorations and dots, use #3 round pastry tip. For small detailed decorations, use #1 or #2 round pastry tip.
Editor's NoteUse of a coupler ring will allow you to easily change pastry tips for different designs.
Nutrition Facts1 teaspoon: 24 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 9, 2014
I'm looking for an icing/frosting that I can decorate on my cookies and then freeze.The ones I've tried discolor after I defroz the cookies.
Dec 10, 2013
I tried this icing on my gingerbread cookies this past weekend and was thrilled with the results! I will definitely make it again.
Jun 28, 2010
There are two royal icing recipes. Which one is better?
Dec 22, 2009
I added some vanilla and almond extract and it was really good! I was expecting it to be more functional than tasty for some reason, glad I was wrong!
Dec 8, 2009
Cream of tartar is best known in our kitchens for helping stabilize and give more volume to beaten egg whites. It is the acidic ingredient in some brands of baking powder. It is also used to produce a creamier texture in sugary desserts such as candy and frosting, because it inhibits the formation of crystals. It is used commercially in some soft drinks, candies, bakery products, gelatin desserts, and photography products. Cream of tartar can also be used to clean brass and copper cookware.
Dec 12, 2008
how can I make meringue powder myself it is possible? Thank you.
Dec 10, 2008
Does this frosting have a good taste? How does it compare to the other frosting choices? I've never worked with this before but heard it was best for cut-outs and ginger people. Thanks!
Dec 9, 2008
what is the cream of tarter for in royal icing? I have made tons of royal icing and have never seen it added in a reciepe before