Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, milk and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium. Do not stir. Cook for 3-6 minutes or until bubbles form in center and syrup turns amber in color. Transfer to a small bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting achieves spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts4 teaspoon: 118 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 5, 2016
My family are brown sugar /caramel connoisseurs. I made this frosting for a cinnamon bun cake that we used to celebrate my grandma's 93rd bday. I doubled it and used half and half instead of milk. Omgh! This could be used to make penuche fudge if you wanted too. Best recipe ever! Everyone wanted the recipe. It will definitely be a family favorite!
Jan 13, 2016
Delicious! I doubled this recipe to frost a 9x13 spice cake I had made. It was the absolute perfect combination! I will definitely be making this again.
Dec 21, 2014
This frosting is really rich and delicious; however, I found that I had to make three recipes in order to frost a three layer jam cake. The cake has to be frosted quickly because the frosting begins to thicken to an un-spreadable consistency. I simply reheated with a little more butter and milk to continue spreading. It's not the best looking cake I've ever made, but, it will taste good. Will I use this again? Yes.
Mar 17, 2010
I loved brown sugar frosting. This was great!
Oct 31, 2008
Very good frosting, enough for 12 cupcakes!!