Royal Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spoon rhubarb to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over top.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 238 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 17, 2014
This was so good as written, but I did add another half cup of rhubarb. Fixed my pregnancy craving!
Apr 23, 2013
Just a word on the topping I did not melt the butter I mixed it with a pastry cutter and it did turn out very well all the same measurements applied. I also put cranberries with the rhubarb and mixed directly into the batter,and poured into the pans,(glass) wow what a great turn out.....
Jun 12, 2011
This was very good! I added a few strawberries and it was delicious. Next time I may try a different crumb topping though.
May 24, 2011
This was a great easy recipe and I actually substituted strawberries instead. I agree though about the topping, the ingredients noted make a pasty carmelized substance that you can't sprinkle. I used just a basic streusel topping mix and that seemed to work much better!
Jun 11, 2009
this is very tasty, however,i question the amount of butter in the topping mixture.you can't "sprinkle" it because it becomes paste-like.i will use a topping from another recipe next time.