Rhubarb-Buttermilk Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/4 cup plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine rhubarb and 1/4 cup sugar. In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb mixture.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 287 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 19, 2013
This is a super moist cake with great flavor! Even better the next day!
May 25, 2012
I made this 2 times and found that I had to bake much longer then 30min, more like 45 min. I has been a hit at my house, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream really hits the spot!
Jun 8, 2011
I made the Rhubarb-Buttermilk coffee cake for a luncheon and everyone commented on how good it was. I will be making this recipe again!
Jun 27, 2010
I already made it twice--1st time it looked done but it was still very solid--not cake like. Thought it was old baking powder, so made it again on Fri.-same thing. Baked it according to directions & toothpick came out clean. Not sure I want to try it again & bake it alot longer or what. Any suggestions?
Apr 15, 2010
We loved It---great for Easter Brunch--I had no problem with it rising. Will make again~~one of my Rhubarb favorites now.
Jun 24, 2009
I made this cake twice and each time it did not rise and was very heavy. It does not look anything like the picture. Is the recipe correct?