Rhubarb Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla; mix well.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream. Fold in rhubarb. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 458 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 30, 2018
This was a simple quick recipe and all I had to do was go pick some rhubarb from my own back yard! Cake is moist and has a delightful tart taste. I'll make this again!
Mar 31, 2018
Awesome coffee cake!!! Only change I made is to bake in two 8x8 inch pans. I plan to freeze one for later.