Rhubarb Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla; mix well.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream. Fold in rhubarb. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 458 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
May 30, 2018
This was a simple quick recipe and all I had to do was go pick some rhubarb from my own back yard! Cake is moist and has a delightful tart taste. I'll make this again!
Mar 31, 2018
Awesome coffee cake!!! Only change I made is to bake in two 8x8 inch pans. I plan to freeze one for later.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.