Rhubarb and Strawberry Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan with parchment; grease parchment. In a small saucepan, mix cornstarch and sugar; stir in strawberries, rhubarb and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Reserve 3/4 cup for topping. Stir baking powder, baking soda and salt into remaining flour mixture. In a small bowl, whisk egg, sour cream and vanilla until blended; gently stir into flour mixture (do not overmix).
- Spread batter onto bottom and 1/2 in. up sides of prepared pan. Spread filling over crust, leaving a 1/2-in. border around edge of pan. Spoon strawberry mixture over top; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 50-60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 20 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife. Cool completely. Remove rim from pan. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled cake in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze. To use, thaw in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 320 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 21, 2019
I made this for our Easter family brunch this year. The only thing I did different was to sub in 1 cup of blueberries (kept the strawberries) for for the rhubarb. (I was unable to find it in my local store. The coffee cake was delicious and all enjoyed it. I plan on keeping this in my coffee cake file and baking many times in the future
Oct 1, 2018
I have made this lovely coffee cake several times now and it's one of those recipes where every time I bite into it I think "I can't believe how good this is!!!" Just love it! I recently made it for my Ladies Bible Study group and it went over big!