Rhubarb and Strawberry Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan with parchment; grease parchment. In a small saucepan, mix cornstarch and sugar; stir in strawberries, rhubarb and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Reserve 3/4 cup for topping. Stir baking powder, baking soda and salt into remaining flour mixture. In a small bowl, whisk egg, sour cream and vanilla until blended; gently stir into flour mixture (do not overmix).
- Spread batter onto bottom and 1/2 in. up sides of prepared pan. Spread filling over crust, leaving a 1/2-in. border around edge of pan. Spoon strawberry mixture over top; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 50-60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 20 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife. Cool completely. Remove rim from pan. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled cake in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze. To use, thaw in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 320 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 21, 2019
I made this for our Easter family brunch this year. The only thing I did different was to sub in 1 cup of blueberries (kept the strawberries) for for the rhubarb. (I was unable to find it in my local store. The coffee cake was delicious and all enjoyed it. I plan on keeping this in my coffee cake file and baking many times in the future
Oct 1, 2018
I have made this lovely coffee cake several times now and it's one of those recipes where every time I bite into it I think "I can't believe how good this is!!!" Just love it! I recently made it for my Ladies Bible Study group and it went over big!