Raspberry Streusel Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min.
- 3-1/2 cups unsweetened raspberries
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, cook raspberries and water over medium heat 5 minutes. Add lemon juice. Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir into fruit mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs, sour cream and vanilla (batter will be stiff).
- Spread half into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spread raspberry filling over batter; spoon remaining batter over filling. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over top.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm cake.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 462 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 12, 2019
I liked this coffee cake. I added some half
Jan 21, 2019
I really liked this cake. I did add a bit more milk so the batter wasn't quite so thick. I also added the zest of one lemon to the batter.
Oct 27, 2018
Delicious coffeecake! I've made it more than once and have had requests for the recipe!
May 13, 2018
This cake was okay. Will not make it again. The batter was SO stiff, my hand cramped up trying to stir it. It was VERY hard to spread in the pan and IMPOSSIBLE to spread over the raspberry filling. I had to glob the batter over the filling and try to spread the thick mess. The flavour (other than raspberry) was bland as stated in previous comments. Extremely disappointed.
Apr 16, 2017
Very delicious and great for a special occasion. I did make a few changes. I used plain yogurt instead of sour cream and added a little milk to the batter; it was still difficult to work with but I think it helped. I also added some cinnamon and nutmeg to the topping and did not make the icing. I will make this again with different fruits.
Mar 31, 2016
Wasn't extremely impressed with this cake. Nothing wrong with the flavour but kind of bland. The batter was quite hard to spread and even more so to spread over the filling. I don't think it was worth it!
Mar 19, 2016
So so good
Nov 29, 2015
This is delicious! I halved the recipe & made in an 8x8 pan. I patted the first half of dough in pan with spray-oiled fingers, no problem. Just takes patience. Glaze isn't necessary, but might be nice for special occasions. Thanks for sharing :)
Apr 14, 2014
This cake was excellent! I did add a splash of milk to the batter after reading reviews and my cake was moist and delicious. I also added the cinnamon and nutmeg to the crumb topping since my family can not eat nuts and that did the trick. I also made this with strawberry and rhubarb filling. Same directions as the raspberries just used the strawberries and rhubarb instead. That as well was delicious. My family said it was the best coffee cake ever! They can't wait for more LOL
Apr 12, 2014
Wonderful! The "batter will be stiff" is an understatement. You can't even describe it as "batter", it is more like clumps of dough. I kept checking the instructions thinking I forgot to add some liquid. I used the correct pan and had to cook it about 52 minutes just like another reader noted. Will make again but will use a food processor to make things easier.