Rhubarb Berry Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size), divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Cream cheese frosting or vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup cake mix and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Add walnuts; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the sour cream, eggs, flour and remaining cake mix; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in rhubarb and strawberries. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, drizzle with frosting or serve with ice cream.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece (calculated without optional ingredients): 282 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 25, 2017
My new favorite dessert! Made exactly as directed with garden fresh rhubarb and strawberries...perfection! No frosting or ice cream needed and even better the second day!
Jun 15, 2016
Last reviewer - 2 cups all purpose flour, 1-1/2 cups sugar, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1/2 cup powdered milk. This recipe sounds really good and I have lots of rhubarb, so i'll be trying this.
Jun 15, 2016
I really hate to used cake mixes....does anyone know how to make this from scratch? We LOVE rhubarb and strawberries, so I'm dying try this recipe!
May 24, 2016
This will be a keeper recipe. I used a lemon cake mix like one of the other reviews and it was delicious. Give it a try!
Jun 1, 2015
Served with Cool Whip. Very good recipe. Others asking for it.
May 4, 2013
Excellent coffee cake. I added some cinnamon to the topping, yummy.
May 1, 2012
Delicious and relatively easy to make. I agree with the submitter that although the frosting would be a pretty finishing touch, it is not necessary and would make an already very sweet cake too sweet.
Jun 21, 2011
This is wonderful! I only had a lemon cake mix, so I used that and it was delicious. My husband wouldn't even let me get the frosting on it before eating several helpings!
Apr 26, 2010
Loved how easy and delicious this was for the first rhubarb of the season!