Berry-Topped Coffee Cake
This tasty, wholesome coffee cake is loaded with fresh berries. It's perfect for those with a sweet tooth. —Heather O'Neill, Troy, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-in. springform pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and lemon zest. In another bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well (batter will be thick). Spread into prepared pan.
- For topping, mix sugar, flour and cinnamon; toss gently with berries. Distribute over batter to within 1 in. of sides. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove rim from pan.
- Mix glaze ingredients. Drizzle over warm coffee cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 246 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Berry Coffee Cake in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017