Rhubarb Crumb Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in rhubarb. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 206 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 132mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 17, 2017
Delicious even if you forget to drain frozen rhubarb!
Dec 12, 2011
Yum!! I love this recipe! Very moist! I like to do a drizzle of icing sugar mixed with a little milk on top!
May 11, 2010
This is my favorite rhubarb recipe. I've made it a number of times and it's always a hit. Easy and yummy!!
Jun 23, 2009
This recipe has been one of my summer favorites since I found it in the magazine years ago!
May 31, 2009
Fantastic! I got rave reviews from co-workers all day...until the last morsel vanished. Moist inside, great rhubarb flavor, and crunch sweet topping. Yum!