Make-Ahead Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs, one at a time. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt; beat into creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Mix brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon; sprinkle over top. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove coffee cake from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Mix icing ingredients; drizzle over warm coffee cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 336 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 28, 2017
Jan 13, 2016
Loved being able to put this together the night before. It was delicious and the nutmeg made it taste like Christmas. It was a big hit on Christmas morning. Everyone loved it!
Apr 14, 2013
Very moist and good coffee cake. Have made it when we have company and everyone thought it was yummy!
Dec 11, 2011
Nice thought to be able to put the ingredients into a pan overnight, then bake in the morning, but I thought this turned out rather dry. It also didn't rise as I thought it would either. Will go back to my old recipe.
May 11, 2010
Wonderfully moist coffee cake. It is so easy to throw the ingredients together and bake the next morning. Most coffee cakes I have seen bake close to an hour. This cuts down on the time with most prep work done the day before, only baking and putting a drizzle on it before heading out the door. Everyone I have served it to loves it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.