Make-Ahead Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in 1 egg at a time. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt; beat into creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Mix brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon; sprinkle over top. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove coffee cake from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Mix icing ingredients; drizzle over warm coffee cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 336 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 17, 2020
This was good, but I didn't care for the rise that I got out of the coffeecake and both my husband and I thought there was a bit too much sugar topping on it. I would make again but it needs some tweaking.
Dec 28, 2019
Made this for Christmas morning this year, since I didn't have any nutmeg I used allspice. I made the toppings with walnuts. This has now became our favorite coffee cake. It was a huge hit with everyone. By far the best we've tasted and I've been making coffe cakes for our Christmas mornings for the past 6 years, trying a different one every year because I couldn't find one that everyone liked till now.
Dec 22, 2019
Got it in the fridge to bake in the morning, I added cinnamon to the batter.... can't wait to taste it! Wondering if it could be baked immediately after making, is the overnight refrigeration necessary??
Jan 22, 2019
1 use less nutmeg in batter 2 only use 1/2 cup brown sugar in topping—too sweet 3 powdered sugar can also be reduced Overall an easy overnight to make
Dec 25, 2018
Very good and easy to make. Since we love cinnamon I added some to the batter and more to the topping. It was very moist and crunchy on top. There was no problem with rising but I used a new box of baking soda. Will make again.
Dec 21, 2018
Wonderful cake. I don't like nutmeg, so I eliminated it in the cake
Nov 28, 2017
Jan 13, 2016
Loved being able to put this together the night before. It was delicious and the nutmeg made it taste like Christmas. It was a big hit on Christmas morning. Everyone loved it!
Apr 14, 2013
Very moist and good coffee cake. Have made it when we have company and everyone thought it was yummy!
Dec 11, 2011
Nice thought to be able to put the ingredients into a pan overnight, then bake in the morning, but I thought this turned out rather dry. It also didn't rise as I thought it would either. Will go back to my old recipe.