Easy Apple Coffee Cake
This layered coffee cake comes together easily with canned pie filling and other pantry staples. "I enjoy making it for my family or even to celebrate co-workers' birthdays," writes Joan Kuderer from Sparta, Wisconsin.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Pour half into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Combine pie filling and cinnamon; spoon over batter. Drop remaining batter over filling; spread gently.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm or cooled coffee cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 350 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 366mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as apple coffee cake in Quick Cooking September/October 2004