Apple Cream Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl, combine the nuts, cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- Spread half of the batter in a well-greased 10-in. tube pan with a removable bottom. Top with apple slices; sprinkle with half of the nut mixture. Top with remaining batter, then with remaining nut mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 30 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Lift cake with removable bottom from pan. Cool completely. Before serving, carefully lift cake from pan bottom.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 248 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 19, 2015
I made this cake this weekend and while It was very tasty it came out dry. It was not as moist as it should be. I followed directions exactly and don't understand why? Any comments?
Oct 23, 2012
It was delicious. I baked at 325 for 45 minutes, but the cake was raw. So I baked at 350 more 30 minutes.
Oct 23, 2012
It was delicious. I baked at 325 for 45 minutes, but the cake was eaw. So I baked at 350 more 30 minutes.
Feb 9, 2012
I would give this more stars if I could! A few of my modifications: I substituted 1/2 of the butter with applesauce, and half of the batter sugar with Splenda. I baked in a 13 x 9 pan, baking at 350 for 35 min. You really have to spread it out, then add the apples/sugar mix, and finally spoon the remaining batter (about 1 cup) over the top. I then spread & pushed that around as well, pushing the apples down into the batter. The cake came out very moist, but not "wet" and the apples were delicious. I agree with another poster that if you bake this in a bundt type pan, you might want to increase the batter by half.
Nov 27, 2011
Wonderful and very moist!
Mar 12, 2011
I used applepie filling, lemon filling, blueberry filling, and all came out very good. :) Stays moist for days.
Feb 24, 2011
This cake is good.. the sour cream keeps it moist and light. I baked mine in a bundt pan.. sprinkle the nut mixture at the bottom and then layered as per the recipe. I used 1.5 apples instead of 1. Next time, I'll probably use 1.5 time the batter to fill my bundat pan. This recipe is a keeper.
Aug 3, 2010
This is wonderful! Made it for friends who invited us to dinner. Everyone wanted more! It would also make a good breakfast/brunch coffee cake. The only change I made was to increase the walnuts to 3/4 cup, the sugar to mix with them to 3/4 cup and the cinnamon to 2 1/2 tsp. And I completely covered the bottom layer with the apple. So moist! Will make this a lot.
Mar 12, 2008
I'm always looking for a way to cut calories, fat, etc. I substituted Splenda for the sugar and it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe.butterfly pie
Feb 22, 2008
I used 1/2 Cup of brown sugar instead of the white for the walnut cinnamon topping and it gave it a little better flavor.