Apple Cream Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl, combine the nuts, cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- Spread half of the batter in a well-greased 10-in. tube pan with a removable bottom. Top with apple slices; sprinkle with half of the nut mixture. Top with remaining batter, then with remaining nut mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 30 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Lift cake with removable bottom from pan. Cool completely. Before serving, carefully lift cake from pan bottom.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 248 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 19, 2015
I made this cake this weekend and while It was very tasty it came out dry. It was not as moist as it should be. I followed directions exactly and don't understand why? Any comments?
Oct 23, 2012
It was delicious. I baked at 325 for 45 minutes, but the cake was raw. So I baked at 350 more 30 minutes.
Oct 23, 2012
It was delicious. I baked at 325 for 45 minutes, but the cake was eaw. So I baked at 350 more 30 minutes.
Feb 9, 2012
I would give this more stars if I could! A few of my modifications: I substituted 1/2 of the butter with applesauce, and half of the batter sugar with Splenda. I baked in a 13 x 9 pan, baking at 350 for 35 min. You really have to spread it out, then add the apples/sugar mix, and finally spoon the remaining batter (about 1 cup) over the top. I then spread & pushed that around as well, pushing the apples down into the batter. The cake came out very moist, but not "wet" and the apples were delicious. I agree with another poster that if you bake this in a bundt type pan, you might want to increase the batter by half.
Nov 27, 2011
Wonderful and very moist!
Mar 12, 2011
I used applepie filling, lemon filling, blueberry filling, and all came out very good. :) Stays moist for days.
Feb 24, 2011
This cake is good.. the sour cream keeps it moist and light. I baked mine in a bundt pan.. sprinkle the nut mixture at the bottom and then layered as per the recipe. I used 1.5 apples instead of 1. Next time, I'll probably use 1.5 time the batter to fill my bundat pan. This recipe is a keeper.
Aug 3, 2010
This is wonderful! Made it for friends who invited us to dinner. Everyone wanted more! It would also make a good breakfast/brunch coffee cake. The only change I made was to increase the walnuts to 3/4 cup, the sugar to mix with them to 3/4 cup and the cinnamon to 2 1/2 tsp. And I completely covered the bottom layer with the apple. So moist! Will make this a lot.
Mar 12, 2008
I'm always looking for a way to cut calories, fat, etc. I substituted Splenda for the sugar and it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe.butterfly pie
Feb 22, 2008
I used 1/2 Cup of brown sugar instead of the white for the walnut cinnamon topping and it gave it a little better flavor.