Apple-Nut Coffee Cake
"My great-grandmother created this recipe, and it has been passed down through our family," shares Cyndi Martin of Montgomery, Illinois. Cinnamon nicely spices the moist snack cake that's made with tart apples, crunchy nuts and other everyday ingredients.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in apples and walnuts. Transfer to an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 298 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 268mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Apple-Nut Coffee Cake in Quick Cooking March/April 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.