Pear and Apple Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium pear, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan. In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in apple and pear. Transfer to prepared pan.
- For topping, combine brown sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the cinnamon in a small bowl; mix with a fork until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle over batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool slightly in pan on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 395 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 22, 2019
oops- forgot to do stars with my review- Karen
Dec 3, 2018
I made this this morning - this is great!!! Tender and not dry and the fruit, when it bakes, almost melts into the cake. It is similar to another Apple pear coffee cake but uses 2 tsp less baking powder. The only thing I did differently is with the topping. I was in a hurry so I melted the 2 TBSP of butter instead of cutting it in and I added a fresh grating of nutmeg because I love nutmeg. PERFECT!!!!!