Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup whole milk
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, milk, coffee, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat until fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Add milk until frosting reaches desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 859 calories, 36g fat (13g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 133g carbohydrate (109g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 27, 2018
First time with this recipe but it's already in the oven for almost ten minutes past the baking time -35 minutes at 325 degrees seems off.. did anyone else have this problem?
Dec 7, 2014
I just discovered this recipe a few days ago and decided to gv it a try. Since i dont have 2 pcs of a 9 inch round pan, so i poured all in just 1pc of 9 inch round pan. It took almost 1 hr to bake and the result was a cracked cake in the middle, slightly hardened on its top. The cake how ever was fluffy and very moist. Everyone loves it. So, i was wondering if it was becoz i poured all the batter into just 1 baking dish or could i hv done anythg else that was wrong to have my cake cracked like tht. I had the oven at the right temp. I only reduced the baking soda to 1 tsp as i felt 2 tsp was too much. Can anyone help me? I am thinking of using perhaps a 10 inch round baking dish the next time i bake this wonderful cake.pls help me...anyone..?
Apr 30, 2013
While I have not tried this frosting, the recipe for the cake is the same as tasteofhome.com/recipes/moist-chocolate-cake The recipe has never failed to produce a light, moist, chocolatey cake. If buttercream is too rich, try the other recipe which has a cooked flour/milk icing that is lovely.
Apr 30, 2013
While I have not used this frosting, the cake recipe is the same as another moist chocolate cake recipe on this site. It is the best recipe and I have never ever had any dryness. I saw this in the magazine in 1993 and have impressed people with it many times. I love the fact that it is from scratch. Great if I don't have a box mix handy!
Jan 27, 2012
suprisingly wonderful! If you like a light and not overly sweet cake, this is it! I had my doubts on the frosting, but it turned out perfect!
Dec 1, 2011
Finally! A recipe thats better than a box mix. Wonderfully chocolatey and moist. I made it with a peanut butter mousse filling.
Sep 23, 2011
Just fantasic!!! very moist and easy to make.
Jul 11, 2011
this cake is the best! I have made this cake so many times and it is requested all the time for birthdays for my kids and my friends parties. I tripled this recipe for a graduation party and it came out perfect. Everyone raves about it. yum!!
May 28, 2011
This cake is the bomb! It is so moist and delicious! My whole family loved it even the ones that don't like cake! We will be making this again and again! My husband already requested it for his October birthday.
May 24, 2011
One of the best cakes I have made.Very moist and delicious! To change it up a little,I added cocoa to the icing.