Coffee Lover’s Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix sugar, coffee granules and cinnamon. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with yogurt, beating just until blended. (Batter will be thick.)
- Spread half of the batter evenly into a 8-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with half of the coffee mixture. Top with remaining batter; sprinkle with remaining coffee mixture. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 220 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
May 1, 2017
This cake was very good. The batter was very thick, as someone else stated, so I added about 1/2 cup more sour cream. It was difficult to spread, but I got it eventually. The coffee filling is quite strong, maybe even a little bitter, but was still good. I added 4 teaspoons instead of 4 1/2. Maybe 3 1/2 would be a good amount. All in all I really liked it and had three slices!
Jun 28, 2014
Not sure if an ingredient was left off the recipe but the batter was VERY thick and would not pour at all. And there was no mixing or swirling the coffee topping into the batter. The taste was ok but very bitter in spots b/c the coffee did not mix into the batter. Did anyone else have that problem? I tripled checked the ingredients and I didn't leave anything out.
Sep 27, 2013
A very nice moist cake itself but the filling tasted a bit bitter to me. However my son liked it. Thanks for sharing.
Oct 1, 2012
I used an 8 inch baking dish and it was just right for me!
Apr 28, 2011
Delicious. I made mine in a round cake pan and cut it like a pie. We tried some warm last night and didn't think it was anything special, but it was delicious the next morning!
Jan 1, 2011
The cake was very moist!
Jul 26, 2010
This recipe was pretty good, not too sweet. I found there wasn't enough batter to split in half when using a 9x9 pan, so I'd suggest using an 8x8 instead.
Oct 27, 2009
This is great! Light and not terribly sweet.
Apr 29, 2009
I bet you could substitute sour cream. That's in a lot of coffee cake recipes. I'd use fat free sour cream which is more of the consistency of yogurt. If you're trying to get away from dairy, maybe Nasoy's vanilla soft tofu would work. PammieJ.
Apr 29, 2009
is there anything that can be substituted for the yogurt? thanks. kg
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.