A Cup of Coffee Cake
This mix is easy, delicious—and full of the flavors teachers need to get through their day! Instant coffee works fine as a substitute for the brewed, if you like. —Deborah Dubord, Fayette, Maine
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes1 batch (about 3-1/2 cups mix)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Place walnuts and chocolate chips in a small plastic bag. Whisk together flour, salt and baking soda. Transfer to a 1-qt. glass jar. Layer with brown sugar and walnut mixture. Cover and store in a cool dry place up to 3 months.
- To prepare coffee cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk egg, coffee and canola oil. Add flour and brown sugar mixture; mix until combined. Pour batter into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate chips. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 374 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as a cup of coffee cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.