Sunday Morning Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- Beat butter, sugar and salt in a small bowl until crumbly. Add the egg, milk and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour and baking powder; add to butter mixture. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Serve warm if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 236 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 625mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 7, 2018
I think this recipe is written incorrectly. There is only 2 tablespoons of butter in the cake and 4 tablespoons in the streusel: I think the amounts are backwards. I did make it as written. The cake is bland and not very moist, and the streusel was so gloppy that I had to pinch off small amounts with my fingers and drop the pieces around the cake. I could not spread the streusel and the pieces of streusel sank into the cake as it baked. The cake was edible, but disappointing.
Dec 4, 2010
this was not good to me.I love cinnamonbut this was way to much.
Nov 17, 2010
I added raisins to the batter. For the topping, I substituted brown sugar for the white sugar, and added chopped pecans. The topping didn't crumble, probably because I used brown sugar instead of white. That didn't seem to take away anything from the cake; it was excellent. I will definitely make this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.