Christmas Coffee Cake
Christmas morning wouldn't be complete at our house without this yummy moist coffee cake. A streusel filling and topping sweetens the delightful cake, and red and green cherries add a festive touch. It's a perfect addition to any holiday breakfast buffet.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 7 green maraschino cherries, finely chopped
- 7 red maraschino cherries, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; mix well. Set aside. Drain cherries on paper towels. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Fold in cherries.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 9-in. springform pan; sprinkle with half of the pecan mixture. Top with remaining batter and pecan mixture. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan just before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 430 calories, 23g fat (8g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Christmas Coffee Cake in Country Woman Christmas 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.