Christmas Coffee Cake
Christmas morning wouldn't be complete at our house without this yummy moist coffee cake. A streusel filling and topping sweetens the delightful cake, and red and green cherries add a festive touch. It's a perfect addition to any holiday breakfast buffet.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 7 green maraschino cherries, finely chopped
- 7 red maraschino cherries, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; mix well. Set aside. Drain cherries on paper towels. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Fold in cherries.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 9-in. springform pan; sprinkle with half of the pecan mixture. Top with remaining batter and pecan mixture. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan just before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 430 calories, 23g fat (8g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Christmas Coffee Cake in Country Woman Christmas 2002