Apple Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 coffee cakes (9 servings each)
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, mixing well after each addition. Stir in apples. Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes.
- For topping, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Serve warm or cool completely before serving.
- Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled coffee cake in foil, then freeze. To use, thaw in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 251 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 8, 2019
Haven't made this but it is the exact recipe U use for my coffee cake minus the apples and it is delicious!! Will definitely make this as I am sure with the apples it will even be better.
Apr 23, 2019
@kristinn2006 youre very weird sweetheart can i marry you and your husband sexy
Oct 19, 2017
I make this with butter, toss the walnuts into the batter, and add cinnamon and nutmeg to both the batter and crumb topping. Solid 5 stars with modifications!
Sep 15, 2013
This is a wonderfully moist and very delicious breakfast cake.
Mar 16, 2013
This coffee cake didn't work for me. The bottom got soggy even after I tossed flour in w/chopped apples they still sunk to bottom of dish. There wasn't enough topping
Apr 13, 2012
I made this wonderful coffee cake for Easter & got rave reviews. Because of peanut allergies that my grandson has, I made one with nuts & one without. He loved the one that had no nuts & took the rest home. After reading the reviews, I made a few changes, that worked well. First, I divided the apples, using more, & put 1 cup into each of the batter, that was in its own dish, & incorporated the batter & apples together. Has anyone tried making this into one coffee cake instead of two? Would this work in a 9 x 13 pan? Thanks for the great recipe Dawn.
Dec 29, 2011
Terrific recipe! Made this for our family as well as for Christmas gifts for the neighbors. We have daughter with severe Lactose Intollerance so I made some adjustments to avoid the dairy. Substituted Smart Balance Light Spread for the butter in the topping. Also substituted Hellmann's Light Mayonnaise for the sour cream in the batter. Both are lactose free and work very well in many recipes. Baked and tasted wonderful. My only tip would be to make sure the apples are divided equally between the two batters when you split them. I had one cake that didn't bake as well as the others and I'm quite certain it was due to having too many apples in that half of the batter.
Dec 12, 2011
My kids and I loved this recipe for breakfast with our cafe ole'.
Nov 15, 2011
Didn't even have time to freeze it! All was eaten within 2 weeks.
Nov 14, 2011