Coffee Cake Muffin Mix
Our local home-school group has an annual Christmas craft breakfast. Forty children signed up to come to my table and make this mix. It was so rewarding to see their excitement as they created a special gift to give. —Tamera Serafin, New Windsor, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Transfer to a 1-qt. resealable plastic bag. In a snack-size plastic bag, combine brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon. Store bags in a cool, dry place or in freezer up to 3 months.
- To prepare muffins: Preheat oven to 350°. Place flour mixture in a large bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar mixture with melted butter.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full. Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 216 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Coffee Cake Muffin Mix in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.