Easy Cake Mix Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Assorted colors paste food coloring
- Assorted candies and decorations: spice gumdrops, regular and miniature M&M's, nonpareils, cake decorations, spearmint leaves, coarse and colored sugar, colored jimmmies and miniature marshmallows
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, buttermilk, eggs and oil. Beat on low speed just until moistened. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Tint frosting with food coloring. Frost cupcakes and decorate as desired.
Mar 23, 2009
Yes, there is. Paste food coloring is thicker and more concentrated. You only need a little bit to make your desired colors. If you were to use your regular food color liquids, you'd need a lot of liquid and end up making your icing all runny.
Mar 20, 2009
Can the recipe on the back of box of cake mix be used or is there a reason that buttermilk etc is added? Does it make it more dense so it can hold the "lollipops" better? And can any flavor mix be used instead of the white?
Mar 20, 2009
is there a difference from color paste food coloring and food coloring?