Strawberry Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Frosting
Fresh strawberries are full of water, so they have a tendency to weigh down cake batters and make soggy cakes. That’s why these strawberry cupcakes rely on strawberry jam or preserves. The concentrated flavor is just right for light and tender cupcakes. —Lisa Kaminski, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup seedless strawberry jam or preserves, warmed
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red food coloring, optional
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup seedless strawberry jam or preserves
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 16 muffin cups with paper or foil liners. Press warm jam through a fine-mesh strainer. Discard pulp.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in strained jam and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk milk and sour cream until smooth. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating well after each addition. If desired, stir in food coloring.
- Fill prepared muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar, jam and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread or pipe over cupcakes. Refrigerate leftovers. If desired, garnish with fresh strawberries.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 353 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Frosting in Fast Track 2019