Lemon Cream Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large Eggland's Best eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition (batter will be thick).
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups with 1/4 cup of batter. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, cream butter and confectioners' sugar in a small bowl until light and fluffy. Add the lemon juice, vanilla, lemon zest and milk; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. If desired, sprinkle with additional lemon zest.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 244 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 3, 2019
These cupcakes are moist and delicious. The only problem I had was with the frosting. I had to make two recipes of frosting to cover 2-1/2 dozen cupcakes. The next time I'm going to try a Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting just like zrmag1 did.
Nov 11, 2017
Very light & moist cupcakes, not a strong lemon flavor.
Jul 21, 2015
This recipe is amazing! So easy to make. I'm using this to make cupcakes for my brother's wedding, I am also making chocolate cupcakes and am wondering if I can use this same recipe for the chocolate cupcakes? How would I do that? Please help... the wedding is august 8th
Oct 28, 2014
I only did the cake on this one and honestly used what I had. I didn't have fresh lemon so I used 1 1/4 tsp of lemon extract and the lemon taste was just right. I also used 1 cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream as that was all I had. And I use 3 tbs to 1 egg of olive oil mayonnaise instead of eggs. They tasted just like those lemon girl scout cookies. I put a butter cream icing on top. I will use this recipe with other flavors in the future!
Aug 8, 2014
These were not my kind of dessert but came out quite yummy - I thought they had a lot of lemon taste in them and will use this recipe again
Jan 4, 2014
My husband really enjoyed these 'moist and lemony' muffins. I sprinkled them with yellow colored sugar.
Apr 21, 2012
I loved the texture and moistness to this cake. I actually am going to try using it as my vanilla cake recipe without the lemon and adding some vanilla beans. YUMMY!
Sep 24, 2011
These are good cupcakes, not too sweet and the lemon flavor is very delicate. I had them without frosting, but with sliced strawberries mixed with sugar like a small strawberry shortcake.
Aug 31, 2011
cupcakes were very good but the icing was too tart, I would cut back on the lemon juice just a little
Jul 26, 2011
I've made this recipe twice the first one true to the directions and it didn't have as much lemon flavor as I would like. Second time I added a little more lemon zest and also about 3 tablespoons of lemon curd to the recipe and it was wonderful.Frosting is very nice as well not overly sweet with the citrus in it.