Strawberry Rhubarb Cake with Orange
I came up with this strawberry rhubarb cake when I wanted to make something with rhubarb and strawberries that wasn't a pie. If you know someone who hasn't tried rhubarb before, this is a great way to introduce them to it. —Theresa Kreyche, Tustin, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake:55 min
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, 2/3 cup sugar and cornstarch. Pour into a 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, beat well. Beat in orange peel and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Spoon over fruit. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. If desired, serve with whipped cream and additional orange zest.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 322 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Rhubarb Orange Cake in Fast Track 2019