Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch pieces)
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, mashed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb, strawberries and lemon juice. Cover and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes. Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir into saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat buttermilk, eggs and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture.
- Spread half of the batter evenly into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Carefully spread filling on top. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over filling.
- For topping, melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat; stir in flour and sugar until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Lay foil on lower oven rack to catch any juice spillovers.
- Place coffee cake on middle rack; bake 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut in squares.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 328 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 19, 2017
I didn't change a thing. This is a moist, delicious cake that will feed a crowd.
May 15, 2017
I changed this recipe up a bit. I decided I wanted the crumb top only. So I made the straweberry rhubarb filling first. Then I whisked the first 5 dry ingredients together . Next I melted the butter and added it to those first 5 dry ingredients . I mixed well with first a spoon and then with my using my clean hands. Then I took half out and mixed iin 3/4 cup sour cream (didn't have buttermilk) and one egg into 1/2 of the mixture and stir to mix well. Pour this batter into the greased and floured pan and add your cooled filling. Take the other half of crumbs and spread over the top! Bake as directed. Cool and cut into bars! Vert good!
Apr 30, 2017
Delicious coffee cake or dessert served with whipped cream! This will be made frequently!
Jun 13, 2016
Does this freeze well?
Jun 12, 2016
this is a very good coffee cake. I didn't have the strawberries so I used more rhurbarb and it was SO GOOD ! ! !
Jun 9, 2016
I loved this recipe! It was enjoyable to make and I had a lot of fun. My whole family loved
Jun 21, 2015
This coffee cake is amazing! Perfect amount of fruit. Cake is nice and moist, not dried out like many coffee cakes and just the right amount of topping. The only thing I added was a heaping teaspoon of cinnamon just because I like cinnamon in my coffee cakes. This is a real keeper recipe. Even people who think they don't like rhubarb loved this recipe. Thank you so much for posting this!
Jun 16, 2013
This is wonderful!! I did bake it a little longer because it so tall in my 9 x 13 pan.
May 26, 2013
I am always looking for ways to use the rhubarb that we grow and you certainly can't go wrong when you pair it with fresh strawberries. This recipe is perfect! I didn't have any lemons on hand so I actually substituted some fresh pineapple juice which I happened to have but other than that I made it as the recipe is written and wouldn't change a thing. I will make this again and again and again!
May 21, 2013
Have made this for years! We LOVE it!