Cinnamon-Sugar Rhubarb Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, brown sugar and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in rhubarb.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm; if desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 227 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
May 30, 2016
The first thing i made with my home grown Rhubarb several years ago, and now i make it every year. So moist !! Awesome !!!! This year i am going to try it gluten free. Let ya know how it turns out !!
Jun 6, 2015
Jun 9, 2014
I made this last night to bring to work with me today. My husband tried a piece of it and wouldn't let me bring it to work. He loved it so much. That's a huge compliment since he doesn't typically like sweets. This is a great recipe!
Apr 13, 2014
Rhubarb...a favorite in our family...... in a buttermilk batter.. a wonderful cake. Easy, just right for spring!!
Jun 15, 2012
this cake is just so yummy its hard to stop at just one piece. definitely a keeper
May 31, 2012
Yum! Had to sub fresh strawberries for 1/2 the rhubarb & added 1 c. chopped walnuts. Love the cin/sug. crust and the moistness of the cake. Also added a tsp. of cinnamon to flour mix as I love cinnamon.
May 23, 2012
May 22, 2012
This cake was amazing! My 9 year old son asked if we could have seconds before I even finished my first piece. Crispy cinnamon pieces on top and soft and gooey cake. YU
May 14, 2012
very , good. yummo!!
Jul 27, 2011
Great flavor and moist. Would agree that it's a great for breakfast. Yummy!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.