Coconut-Rhubarb Spice Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, allspice and cloves; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 270 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 8, 2014
Cake part is good--even better the next day.The topping is too sweet. I will cut the amount of sugar in the topping in half or maybe make it more of a streusel-type topping.
Apr 14, 2014
Made twice, two weekends in a row, because it was such a hit! I used a glass pan and baked for 38 minutes and it was perfect. Second time I used pineapple b/c I was out of frozen rhubarb and it was still delicious! This is a keeper! A side of ice cream makes it extraordinary!
Jun 28, 2012
this cake was so good. the texture was so light and the flavors were perfect. I only used 1 cup brown sugar and we thought it was great
May 7, 2012
This is the best rhubarb cake I've evertasted! Making two in two days, one toserve at cards tomorrow. Wouldn't changea thing! Esp. like the topping.
Jan 31, 2011
Moist cake. Even non-rhubarb eaters would probably enjoy this cake. Careful not to burn the topping though!
May 23, 2010
Very moist cake. It's a hit whenever I take it to potlucks or family gatherings!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.