Special Rhubarb Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes9 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until moistened. Fold in the rhubarb. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add sugar and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve with cake.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 463 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 451mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 21, 2018
this is the best cake I ever made, I don't even make the vanilla sauce
Apr 19, 2018
The best cake ever! I love rhubarb season now!
May 28, 2016
Very moist and I did use about 3 cups of rhubarb, otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. This turned out extremely well for myself who is not a baker. Vanilla sauce is devine !!I love the fact that it's a 9 x 9 pan, suitable for a smaller gathering.
May 11, 2016
Awesome. It doesn't get better than this.
Jun 30, 2014
This was one of the best rhubard cakes my husband said he has ever had...it will be added to one of our favorites for sure ...It was so moist and flavorfull and so easy to make. We like a little more tartness in our cake so I am going to add another 1/2 cup of rhubarb the next time I bake it. Otherwise, it was perfect!!!
Jun 25, 2013
excellent cake, moist tasty and the sauce was to die for
May 27, 2013
This is a keeper. I have made it over and over. Quick to make,take it anywhere, all will love it
May 26, 2013
Excellent! Thanks for sharing! I cut back a tad on the sugar and ended up putting in all of the rhubarb (approx 3 cups) that I chopped. Found it to be very moist and delicious!
May 4, 2013
this was a very easy cake to make. The cake taste very good. I put 3 cups of Rhubarb in and doubled the crumble on top The sauce goes very nicely with the cake. Quite rich...only had a small serve.
Mar 24, 2013
This is good. I love the sauce. Cake is a little dry but very tasty.