Soft Cornmeal Cookies
Combining humble ingredients can sometimes result in a delicious treat. Use these versatile cookie as the base for ice cream sandwiches or crumble them over strawberries and ice cream. —Gina Martin, Spooner, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, 1/2 cup sugar, powdered milk, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter and cream cheese until crumbly. Add milk and, if desired, walnuts; stir until blended. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place remaining sugar in a shallow bowl; roll cookies in sugar.
- Place cookies 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Bake 13-15 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 143 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Soft Corn Cookies in Ultimate Cookie Swap 2015