Italian Cornmeal Spritz Cookies
A chef at a local culinary school gave me this recipe, and I've been using it for years. Italian cornmeal cookies are from the Piedmont region of northern Italy. They're not too sweet, and the glazed cherries add just the right touch. — Kristine Chayes, Smithtown, New York
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- Red candied cherries, quartered
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour and cornmeal; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a flower or star disk, press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Top with cherries.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie (calculated without cherries): 38 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 17mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as ITALIAN CORNMEAL COOKIES in Cookies & Candies 2014 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.