Maple-Walnut Spritz Cookies
After taking a trip to Vermont during maple harvest season, I just had to make something using maple syrup. Because I love maple, walnuts and spritz cookies, I combined all those elements to create these perfectly delicious bites. I adore the aroma when these are baking.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup ground walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Coarse sugar
- 2/3 cup walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, maple syrup and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, ground walnuts, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture (dough will be soft).
- Using a cookie press fitted with a flower or star disk, press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Top with walnuts.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Originally published as Maple Walnut Spritz Cookies in Cookies & Candies 2014 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.