Walnut Sugar Cookies
When we were growing up, my mother made sugar cookies dotted with ground walnuts as a special treat to welcome us home from school. —Debbie Miller, La Verne, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, walnuts and baking powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Freeze option: Freeze cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.