Walnut Sugar Cookies
When we were growing up, my mother made sugar cookies dotted with ground walnuts as a special treat to welcome us home from school. —Debbie Miller, La Verne, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, walnuts and baking powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Freeze option: Freeze cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving.
Originally published as Rich Walnut Sugar Cookies in Ultimate Cookie Swap 2015