Buttery Spritz Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 7-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- Colored sugar and sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter, confectioners' sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a disk of your choice, press dough 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake until set, 6-8 minutes (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and enough water to reach desired consistency. Dip cookies in glaze; decorate as desired. Let stand until set.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 43 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 27, 2018
Nov 25, 2018
This dough is not easy to work with at all and stuck to everything including the cookie press. I followed the recipe exactly (using the proper measuring utensils). A very disappointing waste of time and ingredients.
Nov 24, 2018
I've made many spritz cookies over the years. Seems like each recipe is tweaked just a bit, but this one is great. I add food coloring and a different flavor for some of those I bake. Green peppermint extract for the trees; Red cherry extract for the flowers; Yellow lemon extract for other designs. Makes for a variety of flavors and fun eating.
Jan 4, 2018
These cookies are a new addition to my Christmas cookie assortment and they are my favorite this year, hands down. The dough worked perfectly with my Wilton cookie press and the glaze "glued" on the sprinkled sugars. The buttery taste is so good.
Dec 22, 2017
Great recipe. I did not use the glaze. Instead I melted dark chocolate and spread on one cookie and made a sandwich with another cookie.
Dec 13, 2017
5 stars, perfect light little Christmas delightful cookies.
Dec 2, 2015
Be sure and CHILL your cookie sheets -- it makes all the difference!
Oct 11, 2015
This recipe was not at ALL easy to work with! Granted it was easy to mix... But after the first three cookies came out of my spritz canister the rest I had to hand roll and hand press! The taste of the dough was not to bad... Will go back to my old recipe!
Jan 8, 2015
Perfect and delicious!
Jan 2, 2015
My family loved the choc on them & they went 1st. I have a sour cream & also orange spritz recipes & will use the choc dipped sides as that will make them even tastier.