Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 6-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Red food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a heart disk; press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake until set but not brown, 6-8 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- Beat butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach a spreading consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring. Decorate cookies as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 157 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 99mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 29, 2017
These taste just like the Santa cookies mom made 40 years ago. The best of the best. Thank you!!
Nov 4, 2017
Very tasty, but a bit dry. Not sure how to fix it.
Feb 13, 2017
Not too sweet and reminds me of when mom used to make butter cookies. Making for our family treat on Valentines day.
Oct 27, 2014
Stayed soft, great flavor. I also used 3C powdered sugar and 3T milk for icing.
Oct 27, 2014
this is just i was looking for thank you.
Sep 24, 2014
I literally just made this recipe and i have a few things to say. It was a pain in the butt. I used gluten free flour so it was a bit grainy but i adde an egg an its all good now. I would suggest 6minutes in the oven because inset my timer for 7 and a minute before it went off smoke was coming out of my oven and i was a little freaked out but they were just fine. For the frosting i already knew that recipe and u shouldnt put in so much sugar reduce it by a cup. And 3 tbs is enough for the milk. Other wise its great i just need to put the frosting on now! I would do this recipe again!
Apr 30, 2011
i love these cookies! i gotta admit that i thought they would be nasty but they turned out sooo good and they were super easy to make! it goes especially well with the frosting!
Oct 15, 2010
Consistently requested and appropriate for every occasion. Sooo rich but uber delicious and quite simply, in my opinion, the best iced cookies ever.
Feb 21, 2010
delicious .... I did not use a press ... I rolled into balls & flattened with a glass ....enjoyed by all.....
Dec 26, 2009
great cookies to ice with kids and they taste great!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.