Big & Buttery Chocolate Chip Cookies
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of dough into balls. Flatten each to 3/4-in. thickness (2-1/2-in. diameter), smoothing edges as necessary. Place in an airtight container, separating layers with waxed paper or parchment; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- To bake, place dough portions 2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake until edges are golden brown (centers will be light), 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Test Kitchen variations
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 311 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 11, 2020
YUM! I made these (mostly) as directed. I ran out of vanilla extract so I subbed in some pure maple syrup, and I also made them a bit smaller with a cookie scoop instead of the 1/4-cupfuls. Since it's just me and my boyfriend, I baked only six cookies. The rest are portioned out in the freezer for a rainy day. I'm looking forward to trying these again and maybe adding some dried cherries or cranberries to the mix.
Apr 26, 2020
These are by far THE BEST chocolate chips cookies I have ever made! They are our family’s new favorite!
Apr 19, 2020
These are WONDERFUL cookies. Definitely not just like Nestle or Hershey's recipes from the bag. There is a chewiness even when slightly over baked (oops!). Crispy on the edges and chewy yumminess!
Apr 17, 2020
This pretty much sounds like the recipe on the back of the Nestle's chocolate chip bag.
Apr 9, 2020
Absolutely amazing! You must follow directions to refrigerate overnight or they won’t work! So worth the wait!
Mar 28, 2020
My absolute favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. I refrigerate dough overnight and use my cookie scoop to make smaller cookies. Perfect everytime!
Feb 24, 2020
Any suggestions on substituting anything besides nuts? Should I add more chocolate chips to the dough or ? Thanks for any ideas.
Feb 11, 2020
A very good cookie. Next time l'd add 1 1/2 c walnut, or maybe I chopped mine a little to fine. I made them 1/2 size. Janet VFE
Feb 7, 2020
Let’s give credit to more than simply California. Hungry Bear is located at Fig Garden Village in Fresno, California and has many yummy cookies!
Jan 11, 2020
Can you just leave the nuts out? I have family that are allergic to them!