Big & Buttery Chocolate Chip Cookies
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of dough into balls. Flatten each to 3/4-in. thickness (2-1/2-in. diameter), smoothing edges as necessary. Place in an airtight container, separating layers with waxed paper or parchment; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- To bake, place dough portions 2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake until edges are golden brown (centers will be light), 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Test Kitchen variations
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 311 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 5, 2019
I haven't tried this recipe yet but am wondering if you could freeze the dough once you get to the refrigerate step and only bake off a few at a time. Since it's just my husband and myself, a batch that size would go to waste.
Jul 18, 2019
Everyone’s favorite. This version is buttery good, chilling the dough makes then both chewy and crisp. I used pecans and made up just a 1/2 a batch. That yielded plenty for just 2 people. About 3 dozen. VFE.
Jul 7, 2019
These are everything a chocolate chip cookie should be. Slightly chewy exterior and soft buttery interior. Chilling them is key. I changed it up a bit and used vanilla chips instead of chocolate chips and for the nuts I used rough chopped macadamias. Since it's just my husband and myself I only cook a few at a time. They're addicting and he will eat all of them if they're baked. It's really handy to have the dough on hand though. After chilling I follow the instructions but roll them all up. I then place between waxed paper layers in a freezer proof container. I don't thaw them out prior to baking. I just add a couple of minutes to the baking time.
Jul 7, 2019
these are a good cookie, easy to make. we really liked the walnuts in them
May 6, 2019
Honestly these are the BEST cookies ever!!
May 1, 2019
These are so good! We couldn't wait to bake them, so I went ahead and skipped the refrigeration. Baked right away at 350 and they turned out great!
Apr 28, 2019
Yummy!! A great classic Chocolate Chip cookie. I definitely will make again
Apr 28, 2019
Can you resubmit the recipe without the ad? Half the ingredients are missing. Thanks
Apr 27, 2019
Only 3 ingredients are appearing. So recipe is incomplete and of no use to me.
Apr 24, 2019
Delicious! I substituted toasted pecans (toasted the same as the walnuts) and they were out of this world! I think this is my favorite chocolate chip n' nuts cookie!