Red Velvet Spritz Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 8-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons red paste food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract, optional
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon water
- Nonpareils or sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk, vanilla, food coloring and, if desired, extract. In another bowl, whisk flour and cocoa; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a disk of your choice, press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. In a small bowl, mix egg white and water; brush over cookies. Decorate as desired with nonpareils or sprinkles. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Freeze option: Transfer dough to a resealable plastic freezer bag; freeze. To use, thaw dough in refrigerator overnight or until soft enough to press. Prepare and bake cookies as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 38 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 17mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 18, 2018
Keep going on...
Dec 5, 2018
This was the best spritz cookie dough I've every made. Cookies pressed with no problems. In addition the cookies looked festive as I used the pointessia press and the family loved the taste. I didn't use the pepperment extract as I didn't have any,and added a .5 tablespoon more of the cocoa. Adding the cocoa to the mix gave the red a nice deep color.
Feb 8, 2018
For 2009funnylady - first, Google is where you look up something you are unfamiliar with, not in a review that people use to determine if they want to try making something. Second - you can find past food coloring at Michaels stores or on Amazon. Most serious bakers like it much better than the stuff you find in your local grocery store. Third - leave a legitamite review when you have tried making the item.Now then - loved this recipe! And I’m not usually a fan of spritz cookies - a lot of times the dough just isn’t easy to work with, and makes just a so-so cookie for the effort. These look and taste amazing!
Feb 4, 2018
What is red paste food coloring? I do not recall ever seeing this in my grocery store. I gave it a 4 rating because they look great and would love to bake if I can find the "paste" food coloring
Dec 5, 2015
This may be the best spritz cookie I've ever made. I substituted almond extract for the optional peppermint extract. The dough was a good consistency for use with a cookie press, unlike many of the recipes I've tried. However, I got nowhere near 8 dozen cookies. Maybe I have a larger press, but I only got about 4 dozen.