Oatmeal Walnut Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine the oats, flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 99 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 48mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 14, 2011
Terrific! Love that this recipe makes just over a dozen cookies. I cracked 1 large egg in a Pyrex liquid measuring cup and beat it with a fork. It came to about 2 Tbs. 1/4 of a cup is 4 Tbs so 2 Tbs was easy to read in the liquid measuring cup as it is half way up to the 1/4 cup mark. I do believe the recipe is correct calling for 2 Tbs beaten egg. Beat the egg ( or be it eggs if they are smaller) and measure out 2 Tbs. That is what I tried. I do believe you could use 2 Tbs of egg substitute like Egg Beaters as one reviewer suggested. I know mine came out great. :)
Sep 17, 2009
I added 1/4 cup of raisins to this recipe and it make 17 cookies and they were great.diabetic cook
Sep 17, 2009
These are great. The recipe is cut way down so that you only end up with 14 cookies, (which I love) so I used an egg white and it worked great. The 2 T is most likely egg beaters or similar product.
Nov 5, 2008
Hi: Upon reading this recipe it say's 2 taablespoons beaten egg. This must be an error. Could someone please confirm this for me. Must be 2 eggs.Thanks.Syl.