Austrian Walnut Cookies
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in egg yolks, 2 at a time. Gradually beat in flour.
- Divide dough into three portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, using clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in walnuts.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. round cookie cutter. Spread each cookie with 1 teaspoon walnut mixture to within 1/4-in. of edges. Fold dough almost in half over filling, allowing filling to show. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Dust cookies with additional confectioner's sugar. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 182 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 71mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Palatschinkens in Best Holiday Desserts 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.