Italian Pignoli Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1-1/4 cups (12 ounces) almond paste
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large egg whites, divided
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups pine nuts
- In a small bowl, beat almond paste and sugar until crumbly. Beat in 2 egg whites. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; mix well.
- Whisk remaining egg whites in a shallow bowl. Place pine nuts in another shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Roll in egg whites and coat with pine nuts. Place 2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Flatten slightly.
- Bake at 325° until lightly browned, 15-18 minutes. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 112 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 25, 2018
Because the ingredients in this recipe are not exactly cheap, I thought I'd warn others that something is not right with this one. I always trusted Taste of Home, so I was shocked to see this recipe fail. The "cookie" just melts into a puddle in the oven. As somebody else suggested, perhaps flour was what was missing.
Nov 30, 2018
Recipe was good but needed 1T of honey to give it a more authentic taste. I substituted powdered sugar. I was happy to come across this recipe, always the favorite of the Italian cookies of my childhood.
Jul 9, 2017
Second time to use this recipe to make Pignoli cookies. It is missing something not quite sure exactly what it is yet. It is the closest to traditional Pignoli cookies I have found because you will NEVER get the true recipe out of your Italian mother-in-law! Alas, I keep trying!
Dec 22, 2014
Huge hit! Everyone loved them. Tasted perfect just like the bakery. Very satisfied
Dec 6, 2011
Very tasty cookies! I did add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of flour because it was extremely sticky. You won't need more than one or two egg whites for dipping the cookies and probably 2 cups of pine nuts would work better.