Tender Italian Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Food coloring and coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine milk, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Tint with food coloring if desired. Dip tops of cookies in icing; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 136 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 20, 2017
I have made Italian cookies many years for holidays and weddings. I saw this recipe and thought it was pretty for a tray. I will not make again. Too sweet and I did not like the taste. I will continue using my recipes I have been handed down from family.
Dec 26, 2016
I used almond extract instead and they turned out just great... the icing and sugar sprinkles make up for the not so sweet cookie. This is a keeper!
Dec 3, 2016
Base cookie isn't overly sweet, but was balanced out with the icing and sprinkles. I used a cookie scoop to get uniform cookies.
Apr 9, 2016
Just made these cookies and also found them a little bland, will make them again just will add some orange extract to flavor them up. Icing was very runny even after adding extra sugar.
Dec 31, 2015
Love these cookies and they are always a hit a christmas time
Apr 22, 2015
Just ok. I agree with others that these are pretty bland. Not a very sweet cookie if that's what you're looking for.Easy to make, but not my idea of a sugar cookie.
Mar 13, 2015
For more flavor use almond flavor in cookie and i used peppermint flavor in icing
Mar 12, 2015
Easy to prepare with ingredients that are always on hand. Very nice presentation Unfortunately they don't have much flavor. I used extra vanilla in the dough and icing and double dipped them and they were still just eh. I was pretty disappointed.
Dec 22, 2014
I just made these with white frosting & sparkling white sugar. They look so pretty, like snowballs. They do taste a little bland, though. I will definitely try them again with some anise extract added.
Apr 24, 2014
Followed the recipe, very good! Not sure I'll make again though. The kids didn't love em..