Italian Sweet Bread
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Italian seasoning, optional
- In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a floured surface. Divide in half. Shape each portion into a ball; flatten slightly. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat egg and water; brush over the dough. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning if desired.Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 87 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 3, 2018
Very easy, smells and tastes wonderful! I adapted it for use without a bread machine, since I don't have one. Beautiful, dense and the family loved it. I topped it with Kosher salt instead of Italian seasonings-but I'm sure its great with those too!
Feb 3, 2016
OOOOH yummy scrummy and delicious! This was easy and tastes just perfect, a bit sweet and a bit salty, I topped it with crushed kosher salt before baking. Can't wait to eat another slice :)
Jan 3, 2015
Can this bread be made by hand? I don't use a bread maker.
Apr 29, 2014
This is one of my family's favorite bread machine recipes. I follow the recipe as written, but always add a bit of kosher salt to the Italian seasoning that I sprinkle on top before baking. This gives it a salty-sweet taste that we really enjoy. For those having issues with the recipe, it may help to use whole milk or a mix of half-and-half and milk. I've done this and noticed that the bread is a bit more dense. Thanks for a great recipe!
Feb 2, 2014
My whole family loves this recipe, I make it both as oven baked long loaves as well as using my bread machine to cook it. I use it for sandwiches, garlic toast, French toast, as well as for dips & soup as well-it's delicious in every way!!
Nov 20, 2013
Love this! I noticed some people have had problems with this recipe. I can tell you mine comes out perfectly every time, but I don't use a bread machine so maybe that's the difference. This bread freezes very well, too.
Nov 4, 2013
I have been making this bread for a few years now and we love it! I use regular bread loaf pans instead of the round pans and it turns out perfect every time!
May 14, 2013
it was good, but not spectacular. Id make it again because its a pretty basic bread that you can eat with just about anything. Mine wasnt as dense looking as the picture, and I would have liked for mine to look more like the pic. I followed the recipe exactly as posted, so wondering if it was a fluke or if I did something wrong. All in all it was pretty good flavor ;)
May 9, 2013
I have just came across this recipe a couple days ago and it has become a big hit in this house as the whole house here (6) of us love it very much and the boys keep asking for more so I have already made it 2 times and will continue to make it . I have also shared with others as it is too good to keep to ourselves lol. YUM!
Apr 23, 2013
Delicious bread! Easy to make, too! I followed the directions exactly and it turned out perfectly!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.