Sweet Potato Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- In a bowl, combine sugar, eggs, sweet potatoes and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice cinnamon, salt and baking soda; stir into potato mixture. Fold in nuts if desired. Pour into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until bread tests done. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 145 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 6, 2015
Everyone said it needed more flavor.
Dec 15, 2014
This bread was tasty, but I had some issues with it. I followed the recipe to the letter. When it came out of the oven, it smelled heavenly! I let it bake for the required hour, but when we cut into it, the very top was raw and doughy, and the outside was extremely dry. This batter definitely needs more liquid. I would recommend adding either a cup of oil, or 1/2 and 1/2 oil and applesauce. And that's exactly what I'm going to do when I try it again tomorrow! Stay tuned!!!Update 02/03/15: As promised, I made this bread again, but added 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup of applesauce. It was a WHOLE different bread!! It baked perfectly, and every single bite was moist and perfect. I'm about to make another batch today...even my picky daughter loved it the second time!
Oct 26, 2013
I found this recipe and gave it to my sister who was looking for a different recipe for our fall festival. I must say that it is the best bread ever. I highly recommend it.
Dec 30, 2011
This is a wonderful bread. The top of this bread turns out as if you sprinkled sugar on top. awesome!!