Sweet Potato Loaf
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 4 to 5 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Whisk together the sweet potatoes, eggs and oil. Add sugar; whisk until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in walnuts and raisins (batter will be thick). Transfer to two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 ° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange zest and enough orange juice to achieve desired consistency. Spread over warm loaves; sprinkle with walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 279 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 138mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 2, 2012
I was looking for a special nut-bread, dessert-type for a women's group. This was very similar to one of my favorites: persimmon pudding. This dessert bread took raves with the group.
Dec 10, 2010
I used the glaze for another sweet potato bread recipe and the glaze made such a difference! I got a lot of compliments!
Jan 6, 2008
Wonderfully delicious! So, so moist, flavorful and just plain good! I served other desserts for Thanksgiving, but this bread was gone first.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.