- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- CREAM CHEESE NUT SPREAD:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, honey, egg, salt and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Remove from pans to wire racks. Melt remaining butter; brush over warm bread. Cool.
- In a small bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Stir in walnuts. Serve with bread.
1 slice: 225 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.