Sweet Potato Spice Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes2 mini loaves (6 slices each)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, spices and salt. In another small bowl, whisk the egg, sweet potato, honey, oil and molasses. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- Transfer to two 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 142 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Aug 1, 2017
I enjoyed this bread. I added a bit more mashed sweet potato (approximately 1/2 cup total) as well as enough nuts to make 1/2 cup. In addition, I sometimes have added 1/4 to 1/2 cup of raisins to this bread, for a bit of extra flavor.
Oct 13, 2014
Absolutely yummy! I did alter slightly. I used coconut oil and my cinnamon is Saigon. I also added a bit more sweet potato. I baked in mini loaf pans. Will be serving this at Thanksgiving! Thank you for the recipe!
Feb 28, 2014
Great recipe. They were soft, moist and very flavorful. I will make them again, double the recipe for sure and give them as gifts. Thanks for sharing.
Sep 30, 2011
Good as is and I also make pumpkin bread by replacing the sweet potato with pumpkin and replace the spices with pumpkin pie spice.